family of consumer-sensitive REALTORŽs is dedicated to helping people buy and sell homes, condos, farms and acreages in Bragg Creek and the surrounding area.
There are five factors that influence the sale of property:
The single most important decision you will make is determining the right asking price for your property.
- Competing homes in the marketplace
- Property condition
Buy, Then Sell Or Sell, Then Buy?
It is almost always better to sell before you buy. Why? It eliminates the financial risk of having to pay two mortgages plus taxes, insurance and utilities for several months. Additionally, unless you qualify for interim financing, your lender may require that you sell your home before granting financing on your new home. If the buyer makes an attractive offer and wants to close quickly, you can arrange for temporary housing.
Preparing To Sell
- Know your home's value. You can contact me to obtain a comparative market analysis.
- Choose a REALTORŽ. Look for a REALTORŽ who:
- Makes you feel comfortable.
- Returns calls promptly and answers questions readily.
- Provides references (and do check them).
Ask friends and neighbours for referrals and go to open houses in your neighbourhood to meet a few REALTORŽs working in your area.
You pay for the listing REALTORŽ's services either as a percentage commission or a flat fee, as specified in your listing contract. The buyer's REALTORŽ is paid out of that fee. A REALTORŽ works without pay until they bring you a contract at a price and terms acceptable to you.
- Do a pre-sale walk-through with your REALTORŽ for suggestions about how to prepare your home for sale.
- Keep all of your paperwork in one place. That includes your listing contract, loan documents, inspection reports and disclosures. Documentation to assist with the sale of your home could include a real property report, property tax receipts, mortgage verification, deed or title search, recent home improvement costs and annual utility costs.
Advantages I Can Provide as Your REALTORŽ
My goal is to bring you the highest possible price for your home, under the most favorable terms, in the least amount of time, with minimum inconvenience. I will
- Market your home under the terms of the listing contract.
- Prepare a marketing plan that includes a schedule for listing, showing and advertising your property.
- Advise you on how to prepare your home for sale.
- Show your home to potential buyers.
- Schedule appointments for other REALTORŽs to show your home.
- Find the right buyer for your home from one of their many sources, including
- Present prospects.
- Open houses for other REALTORŽs and the general public.
- A buyer from a 'sold' listing.
- A 'for sale' sign.
- Referrals from past clients.
- Office sales meetings.
- Transmit offers to you, negotiate the purchase and move all the paperwork through the transaction.
- Keep you informed throughout the entire real estate sale process.
- Assist with arrangements for relocation services.
Disadvantages of Not Using the Services of a REALTORŽ
- You are responsible for the entire transaction, including marketing your property, negotiating the purchase, and handling the paperwork. Do you know the laws and regulations governing real estate sales? Do you know what the major elements of an offer include?
- You have to do your own market research to determine your home's value.
- You must create your own marketing plan and decide how you will handle inquiries from prospective buyers or their agents.
- You must prepare your home for sale by arranging for pre-sale repairs, inspections and other necessary services.
- You field all buyer inquiries, show the house yourself, handle all negotiations and move the paperwork through the transaction.
- You pay for the buyer's agent's services unless the buyer is working alone.
- You must deal with the risk of opening your home to complete strangers.
- It is unlikely that you will "save" the cost of a REALTORŽ's fee because most buyers will deduct a real estate commission from a homeowner's asking price when making their offer.
Must Do When Selling Your Home
- Keep it clean.
- Freshen a prominent room's décor with a coat of paint or new floor covering if the room shows signs of wear.
- Make necessary repairs. Make sure outlets work, toilets flush and windows and doors open and shut smoothly. All heating equipment and appliances should work.
Don't Do When Selling Your Home
Don't go to the expense of:
- Installing shelves or closet organizers.
- Painting and carpeting the entire house.
- Making major improvements.
- Putting in a new driveway or sidewalk, unless they will significantly improve your home's marketability. Your REALTORŽ can advise you.
Must Do When Showing Your Home
- Keep landscaping and flower beds tidy.
- Keep the porch, foyer and garage clean and tidy.
- Clean appliances, counter tops, halls, stairs, mirrors, fixtures, taps and floors.
- Keep closets and cupboards neat and tidy.
- Turn all lights on.
- Open drapes during daylight.
- Although all viewers are screened, it is best to lock up jewelry and valuables-especially small items (like CDs) that easily fit in pockets.
Closing Your Sale
- Make sure all deadlines are met.
- Make repairs promptly.
- Satisfy legal requirements.
- Arrange for your loan payoff.